Frequently Asked Questions







How do I transfer a WSSC Water account into/out of my name?

Please refer to the Start/Stop Service Form page.

When will my suspended service be restored?

Please call a Customer Service Advisor at 301-206-4001 or 800- 828-6439 to discuss this matter.  A Release of Liability(ROL) must either be faxed or posted at the property in plain sight to have service restored.
Release of Liability (ROL) (English) | Release of Liability (Espanol)

Emergency Service Center Advisors can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 301-206-4002 or

How do I contact the Customer Service Center?

 Customers can contact the Customer Service Center weekdays, 7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., by phone at 301-206-4001, 1-800-828-6439, or  

How do I contact the Emergency Service Center?

Customers can contact the Emergency Service Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 301-206-4002 or

When and where are WSSC Water’s public hearings held? 

During our budget-approval process, Montgomery and Prince George’s County Councils approve the rates. Public hearings on our proposed budgets are held each year prior to February 15, and any changes take effect on July 1. If you want more information about the hearing process or the public hearing schedule and locations, please contact the Communications and Community Relations Office at 301-206–8100.

What is WSSC Water doing to safeguard the water supply?

Our nation’s biggest tragedy has resulted in an increased safety awareness of the various infrastructures upon which we rely every day.  Our mission has always been to supply safe, clean water to our customers.  In doing so, we take security very seriously.  We have a strong foundation of ongoing safety measures at WSSC Water: security at our facilities; round-the-clock monitoring of our distribution system; state-of-the-art security technology for our computer and operations systems; and extensive water quality testing of our water from source to tap.

Please be assured we are taking all appropriate steps to safeguard your water.  Since 911, security has increased at all our facilities and our officers are on the highest alert, 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week.  We also are closely coordinating with local and federal authorities.

You can help too.  If you observe what you believe to be unusual behavior near any of our facilities, do not attempt to approach the subject(s).  Please take note of as much information as is safely possible, such as the location, number of people and their descriptions, and the unusual activity.  Then call 911 right away to report the information.

How much water does a household use on average?

Please refer to the Household Water Usage Chart.

If I have no water in my home, what do I do?

Prior to calling WSSC Water, please check the property’s main shut off valve to ensure it has not been accidentally turned off.  If your main shut off valve is fully open and you do not have a past due balance, please contact a Customer Service Advisor at 301-206-4001 or 1-800-828-6439, weekdays, 7:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. or  A telephone call, in most cases, will be handled more quickly than an email request.  WSSC Water must receive a completed Release of Liability (ROL) (English) | Release of Liability (Espanol) form prior to restoring water service. 

If your account is past due, you will need to pay the delinquent balance and any fees in full prior to WSSC Water restoring your water service. 

Emergency Service Center Advisors can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 301-206-4002 or to address non-delinquent issues. 

How do I get the meter tested?

Please refer to the Meter Testing page.

How to locate a WSSC Water Certified Plumber?

Please refer to Finding and Verifying a Plumber or Gasfitter


When will I receive my bill?

WSSC Water aims to be the world class water utility.  Accordingly, we want to partner with customers to provide the most accurate bills possible, bills based upon actual reads.  Accordingly, customers are billed according to their meter reading cycle.  For residential and small commercial customers, the meter reading cycle is quarterly, once every three months.  For large commercial properties, ones with meters of 1.5 inches or larger, the meter reading cycle is monthly.

If for some reason, we are unable to obtain an actual read, or if a customer requires assistance with starting or stopping service, or if any other type of adjustment is indicated, WSSC Water is eager to work closely with you to obtain an off-cycle read and create the most accurate bill.  You would receive any off-cycle bill through the mail within approximately 7 to 10 days.  Any subsequent bill would revert and be issued according to the original meter reading cycle.    

Pipeline is an informational publication included with each bill that provides public hearing dates, conservation techniques, policies for adjusting accounts, and other topics of interest.

Can I get my bill electronically?

WSSC Water offers Electronic Paperless Billing, learn more about paperless billing on the Pay My Bill page.

What payment options do you offer?

Please refer to the Pay My Bill page.

How does WSSC Water bill water and sewer charges?

Water is billed according to usage as measured by a certified WSSC Water meter. Your billed charges are based on the amount of water that passed through the meter since the last billing period. Sewer; however, is not metered and charges are based solely on water consumption. 

Your overall consumption is then divided by the number of days in the billing period to come up with the Average Daily Consumption (ADC). The higher the ADC, the higher the cost per thousand gallons. The WSSC Water four-tier rate structure is designed to encourage and reward water conservation. 

See the rates page for more information. (link

“Comparable” consumption is what was consumed during the same time period in the previous year. If there has been a dramatic increase based on your comparable consumption, we will alert you in the important message section of your bill.

WSSC Water charges more for sewer service because wastewater treatment is more expensive and complicated than water filtration. Each bill also includes items labeled Account Maintenance Fee and Infrastructure Investment Fee.

Why did I receive an estimated reading?

When circumstances such as inclement weather, an inaccessible or obstructed meter, or a locked gate (to name a few) prevent WSSC Water from obtaining an actual meter reading, our computerized billing system automatically generates an estimated bill.  We also will estimate usage when there are questionable changes in current consumption compared to historical usage.

A residential customer's usage is estimated based on the historical Average Daily Consumption (ADC). When there is a new owner/occupant at the property, the estimated bill is based on the historical ADC of the previous occupant.  When there is a newly built home, a profile ADC may be used to estimate the account. In all cases, the estimated bill will be canceled and rebilled using the actual meter reading.  

Commercial customers' bills are estimated based on historical ADC. 

If we are unable to obtain an actual meter reading, a field service representative will leave a card requesting that you provide WSSC Water with an actual reading from the inside meter and visual remote reader (located on an outside wall of the property) as soon as possible.  Both the inside meter and visual remote readings contain 7-digits and should be read left to right, including any stationary zeros painted on the face of the registration unit. (Customers cannot read electronic remotes.)

Go to the meter reading page for more information.

You can provide a Customer Service Advisor with your actual meter reading weekdays, 7:30 am. – 7:00 p.m. by calling 301-206-4001 or 1-800-828-6439, email your meter reading to, or submit your meter reading online using the MyWSSCWater portal.  

The actual reading, in almost all cases, cancels the estimated charges and re-bills actual usage.  We will credit your estimated bill payment upon receipt and reduce the current charges by the amount of the estimated bill payment. 

Can I provide a meter reading without speaking to a Customer Service Advisor?

Yes.  Customers can call 301-206-4001 or 1-800-828-6439, select option 4 or log into the MyWSSCWater portal to enter their meter reading 24 hours a day.   

What is the Account Maintenance Fee? Infrastructure Investment Fee?  Ready to Serve Fees? 

Please refer to our Fees page

Why do you charge for water used outside?

By law, WSSC is obligated to issue bills based on water that passed through the meter if water is used outside (i.e., landscaping, filling pools, car washes, power washes), be prepared for a higher Average Daily Consumption (ADC) resulting in higher billed water and sewer rates.  Installing a sub-meter or leasing a fire hydrant could be what you need.  Without a properly installed sub-meter or a fire hydrant rental, your billed charges will be based on your water consumption and the outside water usage never returns to the public sewer for treatment. 

Please refer to our Sub-Meter Information file. 

Please refer to our Fire Hydrant Meter Information page.

My billed charges are high: can WSSC Water help?

If you have a high bill and you do not know why, you may wish to check your property for leaks, especially toilet leaks. In fact, one leaking toilet can silently lose as many as three to five gallons each minute! The three most common toilet leaks are flapper, siphon tube and overflow leaks. Items like a new toilet tank kit or new flapper can easily be purchased from a hardware store and can remedy a toilet leak. Toilet flappers and toilet tanks should be checked at least once a year. For additional information, please refer to our Household Leak Detection page.  

Go to WSSC Water Code or Regulations Chapter 3.20 to learn about our billing adjustments and corrections regulation. 

As always, we are Here to Help should you have additional questions.

Will WSSC Water adjust my high bill?

WSSC Water offers numerous bill adjustment and correction types to assist customers who experience higher than normal or inaccurate water/sewer bills. Adjustments will “adjust” bills that have been rendered correctly while corrections detail when and how WSSC Water will “correct” bills that were rendered incorrectly. The bill must meet specified criteria to qualify for an adjustment/correction as outlined in the WSSC Water Code or Regulations Chapter 3.20.

What if I still have billing issues?

Call WSSC Water at 301-2064001 or 1-800-634-8400 to speak with a Customer Service Advisor, weekdays, 7:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. or email us at We will thoroughly review the account to determine whether the charges qualify for adjustment according to WSSC Water’s policies and guidelines. If you are unhappy with our decision, you may appeal the billed charges to the Dispute Resolving Board for unpaid charges or the Refund Hearing Board for paid charges. 

What if I have issues with an unpaid bill?

Please refer to the Dispute Resolving Board page.

What if I have issues with a bill I've already paid?

Please refer to the Refund Hearings page.

Is there a fee for dishonored checks, unsatisfied electronic debits, and credit chargebacks?

Yes, WSSC Water will assess a fee if a check is not honored, your bank does not satisfy an electronic debit, or a credit card payment is not properly authorized. Furthermore, a "cash only" status will be assigned to the account for six months. During that period, payments must be made via certified or bank check, credit or debit card, Western Union Quick Collect, or money order. Written notification that a payment has not been satisfied and that the account has been placed in "cash only" status will be mailed to the service address. 

If you feel the payment was returned due to a bank error, please provide a letter from your bank that indicates the error was theirs and we are happy to reverse any adverse account action taken. Please refer to the Miscellaneous Fees Table page for additional information.



Is discolored water safe to drink?

Please visit our page on discolored water and flushing guidance.

How do I get a water analysis?

We routinely test the water at the Potomac and Patuxent Water Filtration Plants and throughout the distribution system. We are happy to send you a copy of the tap water analyses report, or you also may view it online. Additional testing may be performed by WSSC Water or private laboratories certified by Maryland Department of the Environmental (MDE). List of approved laboratories for drinking water analysis can be found at MDE’s website here.

If you experience water quality problems, please contact our Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002. Our water quality staff will start investigation and determine if an in-home testing is needed.

Additional information about water quality is available.  

How do I turn off the water at my house? 

The “main water valve” inside your property turns the water off. If you have an inside meter, check the valve near the meter. If you have an outside meter, the main valve is usually located near the hot water heater or where the water service enters the property. 

To operate the main valve, turn clockwise to the right (until it stops) to close, and counterclockwise to the left (until it stops) to open.

If you need the water turned off from the outside, contact a plumber or WSSC Water. WSSC Water charges a disconnection fee to turn the water off and a fee to turn the water on. A registered plumber also can make the disconnection and reconnection request for you.  

What are the round metal covers I see in the streets?

These metal covers are over water, sewer, storm drain, telephone and gas structures and can be located in the street, shoulders of the road and in a customers’ yard. Most covers have some type of identification.

WSSC Water covers are located:

  • Over water valves in the street, on the shoulders of the road, and in right-of-way areas;
  • Over manholes in the street, on the shoulders of the road, and in right-of-way areas; and
  • At the property line covering meters and curb boxes (the water turn-on/off valve) and sewer clean outs

Whom do I contact about a broken, loose or missing cover?

If you have identified the cover as water or sewer, please contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002 or send an email to  Please provide the cover’s exact location and, if possible, the approximate size of the cover/opening. 

I think I have an underground or service leak. What should I do?

Please contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002. We will investigate to determine the location of the leak (on or off property). The homeowner is responsible for the water service (lateral) from the house to the property line as well as all of the pipes within the home. If the leak repair is the owner's responsibility, WSSC Water will confirm this in writing. If the leak is in the WSSC Water portion of the service or on the main, we will notify the occupant/caller. We will make repairs and restore the affected area to its original condition. 

WSSC Water offers the PipeER Program, which provides loans to finance the replacement of service connection pipes located on your residential property.  This program is administered by the WSSC Federal Credit Union in partnership with WSSC Water

I have low pressure or high pressure in my home. What should I do?

Low-pressure/flow is generally described as not enough water in the system. If the problem is low flow, you should check with a plumber. The problem may be a restriction within the pipes or a problem with just one plumbing fixture. If the low flow problem is found throughout the property, please call WSSC Water and we will check the pressure at the closest fire hydrant and your property. An adult 18 or older must be available for us to access the property. Understandably, our crews will have to address system-wide emergencies and other critical events prior to investigating low-pressure concerns.

High pressure/flow is stronger than normal water flow from the spigots. If pressure is too high, you can experience banging pipes, a tripped hot water relief valve or washers that quickly wear out. 

Pressure is the force of water within the system. Other terms used in conjunction with pressure are static (not changing - pressure at the hydrant before flow) and residual (pressure left in a pipe system when high water flow rates are occurring). Water pressure is measured in pounds per square inch (PSI).

Causes Low Pressure or High Pressure/Flow:  

  • Pipes that are restricted and do not allow a proper flow of water. The system pressure can be satisfactory regardless of the restricted flow.
  • A partially closed main valve or individual fixture valve.
  • A malfunctioning Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV).
  • Screens on individual fixtures (filters or aerators) may be clogged. The screens can be easily removed, rinsed and replaced.
  • High pressure/flow is stronger than normal water flow from the spigots. If pressure is too high, you can experience banging pipes, a tripped hot water relief valve or washers that quickly wear out. 
  • A malfunctioning PRV can cause both high and low-pressure problems and maintenance is the homeowner's responsibility. You may wish to contact a plumber for an inspection.

What are Cleaning and Lining? Why is it being done in my neighborhood?

Cleaning and Lining is a process of applying cement-mortar lining to the water main’s wall.  This process rehabilitates mains that have scale, corrosion and iron and manganese build up.  The build up can cause discolored water and pressure/flow problems.  
Neighborhoods are selected for Cleaning and Lining based on:

  1. Fire flow tests.
  2. Discolored water complaints and issues.
  3. Street resurfacing projects - if the main is more than 30 years old.

The Cleaning and Lining process are performed on mains while in place and involves:

  1. Installing bypass lines (above ground) to provide temporary water service to customers during the rehabilitation process.
  2. Accessing the pipeline through small excavations. An approximate 6' section of pipe is removed to provide access to the interior of the pipeline. (A new piece of lined pipe is installed when the main is put back in service.)
  3. Removing the buildup of iron and manganese from the pipe by steel scraper blades drawn through the pipe.
  4. Clearing the line of water and debris with a squeegee.
  5. Mixing and pumping cement-mortar through a hose to the interior wall of the pipe.
  6. Smoothing the surface of the finish running a trowel assembly after the equipment that sprayed the lining material.
  7. Cutting out or blowing out the service connections before the liner dries.
  8. Chlorinating the main.
  9. Testing the water prior to placing the main back in service.

I see water surfacing in the street or shoulder of the road. Who should I call?

Please contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002 and provide as much specific information as possible (e.g., water is streaming, gushing, providing the street address or intersection). Emergency Service Center Advisors can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

An inspector will be dispatched to investigate your concerns. 

What is a water lateral (service) and for what portion am I responsible?

Water Main connectionsThe contractor installing the water main generally installs the water service from the main to the property line.  WSSC Water is responsible for maintaining the individual water service (lateral) from the main to the property line.  Service lines (laterals) are generally ¾" to 1 ½" for private homes and up to 12" for larger commercial buildings.  WSSC Water uses copper and ductile iron for the service.

In the past, some galvanized pipe was used.  Copper pipe; however, is replacing galvanized pipe.  The lateral from the property line to the house and all water pipes within the house/building are the homeowner’s responsibility.  On-property water service can be copper, galvanized or plastic.


My basement is backed up with sewage. Whom should I call and what should I do?

Call WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002. An Emergency Service Center Advisor can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

A Customer Service Advisor will review the property’s history and instruct you based on our records.

Several questions you might consider when trying to determine the possible cause of a sewer problem/stoppage are:

  1. Is the problem with an individual fixture such as the kitchen sink?  If so, you may attempt to clear the blockage yourself or contact a plumber or sewer drain cleaner.
  2. Is the problem with a commode located above the lowest level (floor) of the property?  If yes, you may attempt to clear the blockage yourself or contact a registered plumber or sewer drain cleaner.
  3. Is the problem with the lowest facility (e.g., toilet, shower, or laundry tub) in the property? If yes, contact WSSC Water to investigate.
  4. Is the service constantly backing up even when the occupants on the premises are not using the facilities?  If yes, contact WSSC Water to investigate.

When a service is backing up only when the occupants are using their facilities, or the problem is not in the lowest level plumbing fixtures, we suggest contacting a registered plumber or a sewer drain cleaner for assistance.  If you are unsure, please contact WSSC Water for assistance.

What is a sewer lateral (service) and for what portion am I responsible?

Generally, the contractor installing the sewer main installs the sewer service from the main to the property line.  WSSC Water is responsible for maintaining the individual sewer service (lateral) from the main to the property line.  Service lines (laterals) are generally 4" for private homes.  The service line from the property line to the house and sewer pipes within the house is the homeowner’s responsibility.

Who should I call about the sewer odor?

An obstruction in the main (in the street) or service line can cause sewer odor where gases are trapped but a back-up is not occurring.  he gases can escape through manholes or the drains in customer homes or buildings.  Unless the odor is isolated to one fixture or in an upper bathroom only, WSSC Water will investigate. Contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002.

If the floor drain is dry, the sewer gas from the main or service can get into the house and cause an odor problem. Periodically pour approximately 2 cups of water down your floor drain and run the water in any sink, tub or shower that is not frequently used for 30 seconds.

Who should I call to obtain additional information about sewer leaks?

Contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002 or email See Service Alerts for any open emergencies.                  

What causes sewer clogs or back-ups?

There are several causes of clogged sewers and in our area, one of the main reasons is tree roots that may enter at the joints of pipes or cracks in older pipe.  (Roots seek water and they often force their way through the cracked pipe.) Also, broken pipe may allow soil to enter and cause a problem. Grease also is a main cause of clogged sewers as grease can harden or collect resulting in stoppages and back-ups.

What can I do to help prevent sanitary sewer backups?

Be careful what you put down the drain. Several items that should not be put into your sewer system are paper towels, diapers, grease, paints/solvents, chemicals, antifreeze, non-food oils, and any non-dissolvable items. Please deposit grease and food scraps into a can or the garbage for disposal.  Our Can the Grease fact sheet contains more grease disposal information. 

What are manholes? Where are they located?

WSSC Water and other utilities use manholes to access our underground infrastructure.  Our crews also use manholes to clear stoppages  and perform preventive maintenance.  Manholes are located in the street or in a WSSC Water right-of-way area.

What is a cleanout? Where is it located?

A cleanout is an entry point into the sewer service that is used to clear obstructions in the line.  A cleanout can be located inside or outside.  An inside cleanout it is often referred to as a "stack plug."  WSSC Water maintains cleanouts located in the public area (not on private property).  However, the maintenance of an inside cleanout or on the owner's property is the owner's responsibility.

Who is responsible for potholes?

Potholes are generally the responsibility of the county, municipality or jurisdiction where they are located. They can be reported to:

  • Montgomery County:  240-777-2159
  • Prince George’s County:  301-735-4653
  • Or contact your local jurisdiction

WSSC Water will restore any areas impacted during WSSC Water construction or WSSC Water maintenance work.  Contact WSSC Water's Emergency Service Center at 301-206-4002 or email at to notify us of your concerns.  

Are storm drains connected to the sanitary sewer?

Storm drains are above ground open drainage ditches or below ground systems of pipes that collect and carry off rainwater.  The storm drain system is not connected to the closed sanitary sewer pipe system.

Who is responsible for the storm drains?

The locality in which the storm drain is located handles the installation, cleaning and general maintenance of storm drains. Contact the Storm Drain Division for the appropriate county or jurisdiction:  

  • Montgomery County: 240-777-2159
  • Prince George’s County: 301-735-4653
  • Or contact local jurisdiction
Last Modified: